We recognize that having a sibling with Down syndrome presents many positive experiences. It also may present unique challenges, while providing many opportunities for children’s positive growth and character development. USOD currently has two programs focused on siblings.
- Sibshops is a nationally acclaimed program that provides peer support within a recreational environment. It’s designed to celebrate the many contributions made by brothers and sisters of kids with special needs. Each workshop encourages kids to participate in site based activities that encourage sharing, laughter and fun. Kids will have a chance to meet other kids whose brothers and sisters have special needs, talk, share ideas and have FUN!Staff members at USOD have been trained to facilitate family-friendly support for siblings ages 7-12 at our Sibshops Workshops. Sibshops is a great program where brothers & sisters will:
- Hang out with other kids that know how they feel
- Participate in fun skills-building activities
- Have a safe place to talk about good, challenging, embarrassing and the prideful times of having a sibling with special needs
- Celebrate being a sib!
- Growing with 21 is a support group for siblings 21 and older of adults with Down syndrome. Their mission: Siblings supporting siblings along the journey of adulthood through inclusion, education, and the opportunity to create lifelong connections. The group meets periodically for social events with their siblings. Learn more at the Growing with 21 Facebook Page.