Development & Marketing Spring Intern-Unpaid but can be submitted for class credit
The Up Side of Downs is seeking a qualified intern to work within & contribute to our Development team for our major fundraising events. The position will begin in January, 10-12 hours per week but will increase during the weeks leading up to the Sunburst Gala on March 16, 2019. Must be able to commit to these hours and attend the Gala. This position is unpaid but academic credit can be arranged. The internship spans a range of responsibilities including marketing, maintaining records, contributing to event projects, coordinating donations and cultivating relationships with USOD families, donors, sponsors and volunteers. College students with an emphasis in their studies in Marketing, Communications, Event Planning or Nonprofit Administration are encourage to apply.
Duties & Responsibilities
Major responsibility will be focused on assisting the Development Coordinator in logistics of event planning and coordination including: researching and sharing best practices for fundraising events and campaigns; drafting and posting social media messaging; communicating regularly via email and telephone with current and prospective donors, sponsors and volunteers; handling inquiries from USOD families and event guests; and various event preparation assignments. Additional job duties include but are not limited to:
- Attend monthly committee planning meetings and provide support during the event
- Update social media calendar and social media posts (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Assist Marketing Coordinator with public relations, including media contacts, press releases, PSAs and online event calendars
- Help maintain and update donor, sponsor, USOD and volunteer databases
- Assist with the creation and mailing of development and event materials
- Assist in drafting fundraising emails and applying for online in-kind donations
- Research projects, prospects, initiatives and draft profiles of prospective donors
- Perform general administrative tasks such as organizing inventory, supplies and donations; updating current documents and files; donation pick up; completing special projects and all other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Detail-oriented, have the ability to multi-task, take direction, work independently, meet deadlines and adapt to fast-paced or immediate changes
- Experience with event planning or fundraising a plus but not required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Power Point) and Google (Docs, Sheets). Graphic design experience helpful (Publisher, InDesign, Illustrator).
- Maintain confidentiality when dealing with USOD issues and information
- Have an understanding of USOD programs and possess an interest in our mission
Submit your resume and cover letter to Toni Mullee, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: “YOUR NAME – Development & Marketing Intern Resume”
Closing date for application: November 10, 2018.
Learn more about us at www.theupsideofdowns.org