The Learning Program™ was developed and implemented by the Down Syndrome Foundation of Orange County in California in 2004, and its creator, Dana Halle. The Learning Program is grounded in research and evidence-based approaches to teaching children with Down syndrome established by Down Syndrome Education International – world-recognized leaders in cognitive research for children with Down syndrome. Over the past 15-20 years, researchers have made progress in understanding the effects of having Down syndrome (Ds) has on development – although there is still much more to learn to fully understand. This research has identified a specific profile of developmental strengths and challenges which makes the learning needs of children with Ds unique from other children.
The Up Side of Downs is proud to offer parent & child programs for 2016-2017 in:
- Level Pre-K (ages 3-5 in Pre-K) Full! Wait List only, please contact Gina
- Level 1 (ages 5-7 in grades K-1) Full! Wait List only, please contact Gina
- Level 2 (ages 7-9 in grades 1-3) Full! Wait List only, please contact Gina
Learning Program Highlights
- USOD offers Learning Program classes for students and instructional workshops for parents and caregivers.
- The Learning Program is a parent/child focused program that empowers parents to teach their children literacy, math and other skills using evidence-based materials and methods.
- The program supplements formal literacy and math education through direct instruction to parents and children with customized materials and support.
- Students attend a high-energy, developmentally-appropriate class led by a special educator.
- Helps parents to be effective ‘first teachers’ of their children and prepares children for success in school by utilizing current research on best practices.
- Administered by the Down Syndrome Foundation of Orange County (DSFOC).
- DSFOC has partnered with Down Syndrome Education International, Down Syndrome Education USA, educators, therapists and administrators to develop a program that uses effective teaching strategies and customized materials to support families in the educational process.
- Designed to supplement traditional education with parents as first teachers and arms parents to serve as capable advocates for their children in the educational process.
- Complements formal instruction in literacy and math, with occupational and speech therapy components.
- Uses current research on best practices and effective teaching strategies adapted to the learning profile of children with Down syndrome (Ds).