World Down Syndrome Day, March 21, is a global awareness day which has been officially observed by the United Nations since 2012. On this day, people with Down syndrome and those who live and work with them throughout the world organize and participate in activities and events to raise public awareness and create a single global voice for advocating for the rights, inclusion and well-being of people with Down syndrome.The date for World Down Syndrome Day is the 21st day of the 3rd month, which was selected to signify the uniqueness of the triplication (trisomy) of the 21st chromosome which causes Down syndrome.
World Down Syndrome Day began in 2006 and on December 19, 2011, the United Nations General Assembly declared March 21 as World Down Syndrome Day.
Celebrate World Down Syndrome Day 2016 Around Town!
USOD families are invited to join in the fun on March 21, 2016 at these special events:
Sunday, March 20:
- Hale Farm & Village Maple Sugar Festival – Enjoy a hearty pancake breakfast and then head out into the Sugaring Camp to learn about tree tapping, the maple sugar process and experience oxen demonstrations. View period arts and crafts such as glassblowing, blacksmithing, pottery and spinning and weaving. This event runs from 10am – 4pm.
- Cleveland Museum of Natural History – When you visit the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, you become part of a tradition of science and exploration nearly 100 years in the making. Enjoy two special exhibits – Turtle Travels & The Power of Poison – while you’re there! Museum hours are noon-5.
Monday, March 21:
- Start World Down Syndrome Day with coffee and donuts at Skylight Financial Group‘s beautiful Ohio City offices at 9am, followed by a meeting with USOD staff to talk about how our organization can best serve our families. We want your ideas! This is open to all of our membership – and bring your buddies!
- Marco’s Pizza fundraiser for USOD! Area Marco’s Pizza locations are donating 21% of sales to the Up Side of Downs on World Down Syndrome Day! Be sure to mention the Up Side of Downs when you order or use the code WDSD321 for online orders!
- Stop by Public Square to snap a photo with your buddy of the Terminal Tower lit up in USOD blue & orange!
To learn more visit – World Down Syndrome Day